Hocking Glass Company
The Hocking Glass Company is responsible for so many of the beautiful Depression Era Patterns that we now collect. In 1905, The Hocking Glass Company was founded by I. J. Collins and E. B. Good, in Lancaster, Ohio. Hocking began as a small company, making small items mostly by hand. By the 1920s, the company had grown and saw the need to apply new machine technology to keep up with the ever-growing demand for products. By this time the company had diversified and was making tableware, as well as bottles, tumblers, lamp chimneys, and novelties. In 1924, Plant No. 1 of The Hocking Glass Company was destroyed by fire. The plant was rebuilt and was back in operation later that year. Also, the Lancaster Glass Company and the Standard Glass Company of Lancaster, Ohio were partially acquired by Hocking. By 1928, demand continued to grow and the first green machine -made pressed pattern (Depression Glass) was produced. This venture met with so much success that The Hocking Glass Company was soon producing great quantities of Depression Glass in an array of colors and patterns that we are so familiar with today. Some of the best known patterns were Cameo, Block Optic, Miss America, and Mayfair. Later, a new entry, heat resistant Fireking glassware became a hot seller. During the 1930's Hocking grew rapidly through acquisitions. The General Glass Corporation, the Turner Glass Company, and the Salem Glass Works were all consolidated into the Hocking operation. Also, prior to 1940, the remaining assets of the Lancaster Glass Company and the Standard Glass Company were acquired by Anchor Hocking. In 1937, Hocking merged with Anchor Cap and Closure Corporation and became the leader in selling both machine-made glassware and bottles. After the merger these companies became known as the Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation. Although Anchor Hocking continued to produce glass retail and specialty products, diversification was the order of the 1960's and 1970's. In the late 1960's Anchor Hocking moved into plastics with the acquisition of Plastic, Inc. and the word "Glass" was removed from the company name. In the early 1970's, Anchor Hocking acquired The Taylor, Smith & Taylor Pottery Company of Chester, West Virginia. In 1987, The Anchor Hocking Corporation was bought by Newell, Inc. and several other new owners appeared after the turn of the century. Despite all the recent changes in ownership, Anchor Hocking is still producing a varied line of consumer and industrial products with strong domestic and international sales. The brief history for this article was adapted from the book "Colored Glassware of the Depression Era 2" by Hazel Marie Weatherman.