The A.E. Hull Pottery Company (later the Hull Pottery Company) was founded in Crooksville, Ohio in July of 1905. They produced down-to-earth stoneware for practical use. Some items produced at this time included vases, kitchenware, and jardinieres. Items such as toliet seats were made for utilitarian purposes.
As early as 1907 the company began to branch out into other areas. Semi-porcelain pieces were produced for home, restaurant, and hotel use.
The 1930s were good years for Hull Pottery. They produced numerous ovenproof kitchenware patterns. Cinderella Blossom was one of their more popular patterns from this time period.
Hull pottery became a well known name and produced florist wares, novelty vases, jardinieres, and a wide range of other useful pottery pieces.
From the late 1930s through the mid 1940s Hull made vases in various sizes. The popular Red Riding Hood Cookie Jar was patented in June of 1943. Because of the success of the cookie jar, other shapes were made in the Red Riding Hood line. These blanks were sent to the Royal China and Novelty Company in Chicago for floral decal application and painted decorations. During this time, Hull also introduced its popular piggy banks, and began production of lamps.
Due to the lack of competition from imports, the war years were a big boon for Hull. Hull was sold through various retail stores such as F.W. Woolworth Company, G.C. Murphy, and Kresges to name a few.
Their matte glazed pastel tinted art ware with floral designs such as Magnolia began flooding the market. These Art Ware designs are now the most collectible of all the Hull pottery wares. Hull's pastel art pottery continue to flourish for the next few years, but in June of 1950 production suddenly came to an end when the plant was destroyed by flooding which caused a massive fire.
Because of their reputation and popularity the plant was rebuilt and reopened in January of 1952. The new plant was modern and automated. As a result, Hull was able to turn out as many as 100,000 pieces of pottery a week.
In the 1960s American ideals were headed toward casual or easy living. The Hull Pottery Company observed this trend and started producing a line of heavy ware which was designed for daily use. This line was initially made in Mirror Brown, but was soon made in 4 new colors. These new colors were called Rainbow colors. This line continued to be popular for many years.
Due to overseas competition the Hull Pottery Company was forced to close in 1986. Hull has left us with a long colorful history of beautiful collectible art pottery.
The references for this brief history of the Hull Pottery Company include "The Collectors Encyclopedia of Hull Pottery" by Brenda Roberts, and "Hull Pottery Decades of Design" by Jeffrey B. Snyder.
This 1950s Deco Ebb Tide Teapot is ...